esoteric shit that helps your slap technique

Home Forums Main Forum General discussion esoteric shit that helps your slap technique

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  kynan 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #211

    thomas
    Participant

    would like to know of any tips you find make you a better slapper or improve your timing.
    im finding lately that learning songs that are really not suited for slap and trying to make it work are really helping out- like anything without a strong backbeat or anything synth-heavy or drum machine based is really a task..i spent half the day playing along to devo, old cure, interpol and killing joke it really seemed to drive a few points home for me..

    #212

    Dan Enriquez
    Participant

    I’ve been playing to early Metallica and Iron Maiden lately. Lots of fun! Rockabilly is way too easy. Been doing alot of muted notes too. I did them on that last vid I uploaded on youtube.

    #215

    mike sirman
    Participant

    [b]Memphisevil wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I’ve been playing to early Metallica and Iron Maiden lately. Lots of fun! Rockabilly is way too easy. Been doing alot of muted notes too. I did them on that last vid I uploaded on youtube.[/quote]

    Thats awesome, I learnt a few maiden riffs now just to mess around with on upright, the gallopy riffs are so fun to get a good slap rythm going with.

    #242

    Kevin Stewart
    Participant

    I’ve been working on Latin beats and rhythms lately. Also been messing around with rocksteady/reggae rhythms too for slapping. (and not just the notes… filling in the rhythms with slaps so that someone can actually dance to it and groove)

    I used to play to old Cure songs too! haha Speak My Language and Love Cats are great songs for basic slapping. I even learned a lot of Matt Feeman’s basslines from the Operation Ivy recordings…shit, I’ve even learned some old Disco and Duran Duran.

    Dan’s idea is great too! Old Metallica and Maiden definitely has some great bass riffs that you can lay into!

    #255

    Samuli Samuelsson
    Participant

    Hi.

    I sing, that’ll keep me in track. Helps with staying in tune too. Up to a point ;).

    Also makes it easier to people to yell “STOP PLAYING THAT …”

    As for the material, Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks kept me sane while practising for the recent one gig project. My first with a DB no less.

    Regards
    Sam

    #296

    thomas
    Participant

    hell yeah!- all of thee above- killing an arab is challenging as hell to slap to- and getting the disco octave stuff down without the thumb drives me fucking nuts!

    #478

    Geoff Firebaugh
    Participant

    [b]Memphisevil wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I’ve been playing to early Metallica and Iron Maiden lately. Lots of fun! Rockabilly is way too easy. Been doing alot of muted notes too. I did them on that last vid I uploaded on youtube.[/quote]

    +1 Work out the intro to ‘puppets’. it’s a slaptastic motherfucker to play in time.

    #481

    mike sirman
    Participant

    [b]Geoff Firebaugh wrote:[/b]
    [quote][b]Memphisevil wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I’ve been playing to early Metallica and Iron Maiden lately. Lots of fun! Rockabilly is way too easy. Been doing alot of muted notes too. I did them on that last vid I uploaded on youtube.[/quote]

    +1 Work out the intro to ‘puppets’. it’s a slaptastic motherfucker to play in time.[/quote]

    Any chance you have a video playing that or anything? would be cool to see how you play it.

    #512

    Ian Sterling
    Participant

    I’ve been working on playing along with Municipal Waste hahaha. It actually sounds pretty good once the rythm is down, which is a mess of triple and single slaps. Thrashabilly here we come.

    #513

    mike sirman
    Participant

    [b]ponyboy6669 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]I’ve been working on playing along with Municipal Waste hahaha. It actually sounds pretty good once the rythm is down, which is a mess of triple and single slaps. Thrashabilly here we come.[/quote]

    Nice, UK Subs are pretty fun to slap to as well, the riff from warhead has been one of my warmup riffs for a while now.

    #521

    Ian Sterling
    Participant

    nice, that’s a fun lil bass line. i like playing along to the bruisers, like… intimidation is pretty cool to slap to.

    #523

    mike sirman
    Participant

    [b]ponyboy6669 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]nice, that’s a fun lil bass line. i like playing along to the bruisers, like… intimidation is pretty cool to slap to.[/quote]

    You know I never actually thought of that one on upright, I always play it jamming electric, same with some gg covers. Ill have to try that one out. Bloodshed would be fun too. or some agent orange. Thumbs up for punkabilly

    #524

    mike sirman
    Participant

    oh yeah and walking dead by anti seen is one of the best riffs to play as well as a lot of GG songs.

    #538

    Ian Sterling
    Participant

    deathrider by anthrax. try it.

    #546

    NM Art
    Participant

    [b]dalyplanet70 wrote:[/b]
    [quote]hell yeah!- all of thee above- killing an arab is challenging as hell to slap to- and getting the disco octave stuff down without the thumb drives me fucking nuts![/quote]
    +1 Haven’t worked out a clean sounding disco slap yet.

    Done the Cure thing. Working on Rush’s “Tom Sawyer”, totally works — albeit not note for note, just capturing the essence. Another song that just popped in my head one day was Heart’s “Barracuda” — easy peasy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.